Wednesday, February 13, 2013

How's my Hearing?

Reading through, "My Utmost," today. Chambers spoke about our difficulties in hearing God. He indicated that perhaps we fail to hear God because our hearts are in the wrong place. This got me to thinking and pondering.

I thought of the story of Abraham. As he trudged up the mountainside, Isaac following behind and carrying  the burden of logs for the sacrifice, I can imagine that Abraham's heart was entirely focused on God. He would have had very keen hearing, and expectations, and was waiting with heightened senses to listen for God's voice speak with direction and intervention.

I wonder how frequently I have the will to hear God, but allow my heart to be swayed through distractions or by putting my devotion in something other than this single focus. Then God speaks through His Word, but I fail to hear Him because my heart is somewhere else. I am not listening with the emotional strength and singleness that Abraham would have had.

So, today I am wondering, how is my hearing? Guess I will go to the Bible next and get a hearing assessment, oh yes....and a heart check-up !

1 comment:

  1. Yes, Jill – "hearing" is not a small topic in Scripture. It's closely tied (obviously) to listening. Since that fiasco with Adam and Eve in the Garden, we haven't been blessed with excessive listening skills. I've heard of Bible Schools and Seminaries with courses on Preaching (talking) and Evangelism (talking) and Discipleship (talking), etc. But I've yet to run into a Bible School or Seminary with a course on Listening. Thanks for your thoughts in these posts!

    ReplyDelete